Follow me on Twitter!

Friday, July 25, 2008

Writing a dissertation proposal


Writing. It's what I do. At least these days that's what it seems like. Now, had I really wanted to be a writer I may have chosen another career field, like, say, ENGLISH. But, nope. I choose science. And I still get to write. Oh well.


A good portion of my days are being spent in a scenario similar to what is pictured above. The location may vary, but the computer and vast amount of articles that surround me usually do not. I think at last count I had somewhere around 150 articles of incredible relevance to what I do - including an 80 page review that my boss likes to call "the Bible of Endothelial dysfunction - that my committee thinks I should know inside out. (Not to mention all the fringe stuff that could be speculated to be related. but really guys, am I gonna spend a lot of time researching p53 when I have a TON of other stuff to wrap my head around? Probs not.)


And somehow I have to run my experiments, write a manuscript to publish (which thankfully is in the finishing stages), know all these papers inside out, research animals and methods of how to take care of them and sacrifice them, and still find time to write.


Oh, and did I mention I like to have a life? Yeah. It's one of my flaws as a scientist.


But, what are you gonna do? I guess for now I will go back to writing and reading and researching, in hopes that I can take a break later and maybe do something fun. Cause Lord knows if I don't then I may just go nuts.

No comments: