Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Pre-Relay thoughts

This picture is from last year's Relay for Life in Parkersburg, of the luminaries I had in honor of my grandma and mom.

Tomorrow I will head to Parkersburg for their annual Relay for Life event. This is the second year I have done this, and I am pretty excited about it. Maybe it's because it was so much fun to meet some awesome new people last year, maybe it is the possibility of getting some more of the awesome peanut butter fudge, or maybe it is the sleeplessness that will ensue.

Well, probably all of those, but also the coolness of being around a ton of cancer patients, survivors, and those who have had family members and friends who have had cancer.

You see, this is a very real part of my life. My mom had cancer when I was younger, and it returned about 10 years later. Our entire family was very scared at the thought that we might loose her. Still, she fought and has overcome once again, against all odds. She truly is her doctor's unsolvable puzzle! My grandmother had cancer about the time my mother was first diagnosed. One of my friends had lung cancer and later passed away after a partial lung removal. A friend in grad school was diagnosed with an incredibly rare cancer. Another friends mom passed away from breast cancer last year. And the list could go on and on.

So that seems to be a real downer of a post. Why do I mention those things? First, to honor those who have fought the battle and won. Second, to remember those who have fought bravely but have passed away. Third, I think almost all of us have had similar experiences with people we know. Maybe we should think about these things more often. It might make us more thankful for the life we have, and the lives of those around us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walk your little heart out! I love you - - - FIND A CURE! Mom

Anonymous said...

I think it is times like this that we realize what a gift we have been given. Way to go for taking time to honor mom, grandma and all the other men and women who face this disease head on!

Anonymous said...

hey bec...don't know if you've seen this poem, but it's one of my favs and I've been meaning to share it w/ you...

Cancer is so limited
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the spirit

So true! We both have our moms with us, but I know that makes us want to fight harder for other people to keep their loved ones...heck, you're on the front lines as far as I'm concerned! You go girl! Love you! :)