Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Shack


Since I have been on a reading kick the past few weeks, I feel its necessary to give an idea of what I am reading, and whether or not it is worth you taking time out of your busy life to read as well.

A little over a week ago, I finished reading The Shack. Now, I started this one because I wanted something different to read, and it was on all kinds of bestseller lists.

I had some doubts initially that this book would live up to all the hype surrounding it. I was incredibly entertained from the beginning , but just a couple chapters in I was wondering if it could keep its momentum, especially as the main portion of the story, the interaction with God at the shack, would unfold.

Well, I will say it did keep its momentum. It was thoroughly engaging, and really made me think about the way I view God, from issues of time to the trinity to relationships to love. Now, this is not a book of theology, and doesn't claim to be. Still, there were truths from scripture woven throughout without a direct reference.

This shouldn't be read as an actual account of who God is, more of a creative way to view God and His goodness, with literary freedom taken. I would encourage you to read this book and have your mindset challenged. Then, go back to the Bible and investigate for yourself how what you have read reflects who God is.

It definitely challenged how I perceive God, and how I act towards God regardless of what I say I believe. If you have some time, this is a read that is well worth your time.

No comments: