Follow me on Twitter!

Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Where's the jelly?"


So I was listening to my iPOD last night, and I heard a song that I hadn't really listened to for a long time. It is a song my friend Rob Hawkins wrote one day just having fun (if I remember the story right... I got a copy of it from his awesome wife Lindsay).

It is just some fun music that has a quote from our pastor at the time.

"It's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I give you without the jelly. And you say, "Where's the jelly?" Cause it's not right without the jelly."

The song is pretty humorous... but it got me thinking.

I have no idea what the context of this quote was originally, seeing as it would have been from about 6 years ago or so.

But it really describes the way it is when we try to view things without God. No matter what it is. Creation, science, church, food, music, pottery, coffee, and fill in the blank with whatever else you so desire.

Maybe it stemmed from watching Rob Bell's video Everything is Spiritual. Or maybe reading some of his books. But I do know it is a thought that was circulating in my head for a little while before that. And it has just become more real recently.

Do you think that we can have a full grasp of reality, or even alternate realities, without including God in the mix? I don't.

When we look at something without God with it and in it, its just not right until we put him back in.

Just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich without the jelly.

No comments: