Follow me on Twitter!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Hormones and church?


Ok, so I think about weird science things all the time, right? So this is something that popped into my head the other week during church (I know, weird) that I remembered finding interesting during one of my grad school classes...

So we all know about male and female hormones, estrogen (or estradiol) and testosterone, right? Well, most of us don't have a clue about how they are made. And most of you probably don't care. That is beside the point right now though.
See, these hormones are steroids made from cholesterol. To not get to in depth, some chemical alterations happen to form what is known as androstenedione... which is then converted into testosterone. Then, testosterone is converted into estrogen by an enzyme called aromatase.
(This is the image above... the structure of estradiol and testoterone.)

Why does this strike me as interesting? And why in the world did I think of it during church?

First, because my mind wanders a lot.

Second, because there was some discussion of how God created man and woman, and that woman came from man. Now, I think it is pretty interesting that the hormone that influences being a female is made from a hormone that influences being male.
Coincidence? I think not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often talk to Heath about regardless if science can prove why something happened (i.e. plagues) God still had to make them happen.