Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Can we stop?


I just went for a walk. I decided that I wanted to get outside since this is one of the first dry days I have seen for a while. In deciding where to walk, I thought it may be a good idea to walk along some of the back streets that I have driven often. So, I grabbed my house key and my ipod and took off.


I noticed something as I walked though. Hardly anyone else was outside enjoying the beautiful evening! Here is what I saw:

1 other person walking

4 people playing outside (1 with their dog)

1 person doing yard work

2 people just standing around

2 people biking


Now, it seems to me that for the amount of time I was out, and the distance I traveled there would have been more people out and about for me to see. But nope, that wasn't the case.


Are we so used to our hurry up lifestyle that we can't walk somewhere that is relatively close instead of driving? Can we not take time out of our busy day to go outside and just enjoy it a bit? I know I have had a hard time with this in the past. I think the thing that made me want to change more than anything was being in Seattle. I walked about 30 minutes one way from my hotel to the convention center, just to have some me time, and because I could. Hmmm.... maybe I should adopt that practice always. It was so relaxing, and not to mention good for me and the environment. Seems like a win-win situation.


Have you taken time out to just go and enjoy God and His creation recently? Maybe not to walk wherever it is you are going (especially if you live in the sticks) but just to get out there and see what He has done?

No comments: