Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

go light your world


14 "You are the light of the world. A city situated on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and puts it under a basket, but rather on a lampstand, and it gives light for all who are in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16


Last Friday was the Relay for Life in Parkersburg. It was really awesome to get to spend some time with friends while having the theme of cancer awareness and fundraising all around. We had a really great turn out from Morgantown this year, which was awesome! I loved getting to hang out with bunches of different people on the many laps around the track. Although we goofed off, ate WAY too many hot dogs, and even made fools of ourselves while dancing, we also had some incredibly deep conversations throughout our time together.


On the way back to Morgantown, my friend Brittani and I began discussing the events that had happened the night before, especially the luminary ceremony. I know I probably won't even begin to accurately describe everything that was going on in my mind at this point (there was way too much, and, well, you probably wouldn't have time to read it all) but I'll at least get to the point of what I experienced.


Now, this ceremony is pretty cool, to honor and remember those and their battles with cancer. But this time, that really was not my focus. As we stood and listened at the end, one of the performers sang the song 'Go light your world' by Chris Rice. Now admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of the song. I kind of have an aversion to emotional songs that hype people up. But, I stood and listened to what was being sung, and my thoughts begin to race.


So carry your candle, run to the darkness

Seek out the helpless, confused and torn

Hold out your candle for all to see it

Take your candle, and go light your world


I began to think about the passage from Matthew that I began this post with. Jesus says that we are the light of the world, and we are to let our lights shine before those around us. I began to think of some of the situations we had discussed on our laps around the track.


One of the most prominent conversations from the night in my mind at that point centered around an organization called Nuru international. This organization is all about bringing sustainable living to extremely poor areas around the world. Literally, in Kiswahilli nuru means "light", and symbolizes hope.


I began to think about this in terms of "lighting our world". There are so many areas of "darkness" that need hope, that need encouragement, that need love. We have been given so much. The lyrics of the song say "seek out the helpless, confused and torn". I love this. It really hit home for me as I listened that night. We can't simply stay put and think that things will change. Why do we just think that someone else will take care of people in need? How do we just sit idly by? Aren't we supposed to let out light shine before men? I know that not everyone can literally go do something for the poor in Africa, or India, or anywhere else in the world, but why do we have the mindset of thinking someone else will take care of it? Leave it to Bono. He'll get the word out and make a difference, right?


What would it look like if we would actually seek out the helpless, confused and torn in our world, both at home and far away? In my mind the question "How can I help?" no longer exists. The question instead has become "How can I not help?"


After the song was over at the ceremony, bagpipes began to play amazing grace. Again, historically not one of my favorite songs... for some reason I just always associated it with the Baptist church I would visit as a kid. Recently we have sung it a lot at church though, so I began to think of the words as the music was played. I'm sure most of you have realized this and I am behind the curve, but the words are incredibly profound, especially after all that was on my mind just before that.


Jesus saved me while I was still a sinner (see Romans 5:8, one of my favorites!). I once was lost, but now I'm found, was blind but now I see. Wow. What a turn around. Imagine if the hopeless people in our world were given the hope we have. If given the chance, would they not have this same epiphany?


Again, I ask, how can I not help those in need?

No comments: