Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, June 26, 2008

How much can $1 buy?


Alright, on top of being busy constantly, I always have about a billion things going on in my mind... and yes, many of them are usually bouncing around at one time. From what does arsenic do to these cells to poverty around the world to recycling to cleaning my apartment to hanging with friends to the good book I am reading to watching a movie to what I have to do for work to coffee to so.zo to the kids I work with to family.... well, the list usually doesn't end... and it is all happening rapid fire at any point in my brain.


So as I was driving down to KY at 60mph (yeah, like a grandma, but I got 30 mpg in a CR-V!) I was thinking about tons of things. I was kind of hungry cause I hadn't really eaten that day. I was planning on holding out for Sonic (one of my loves) I just got too hungry to wait. So I decided to stop at a McDonald's to get something. Now usually I would never do this, because McDonald's in and of itself kind of grosses me out. But I had a coupon for a free chicken sandwich, and I figured, hey, its free, and I'm hungry. (Side note - the buttered bun, bad idea McDonald's.) I went through the drive through and got my free sandwich and a sweet tea (ok, it's horrible for you, but I am southern, right?).


So my whole meal ended up costing me $1.06. Pretty cheap. That made me happy. Especially since everything has gotten to be more expensive recently.


BUT, I got to thinking. Do you know that about 1 billion people live on less than $1.08 per day? Yeah, they probably live entirely on what I just paid to get a sweet tea. you can argue what you will about things being cheaper in other countries and whatnot, but come on. Reality is that we take for granted what we can do, and what we can buy. There are many times I don't even bat an eye when paying $4.00 for a latte. How spoiled am I?


And in reality, what could my money that I spend on extras do for someone who lives in extreme poverty? Maybe just my little bit couldn't do a whole lot in the grand scheme of ending poverty, but what about everyone's little bit?


Can the rich afford to help the poor? Most definitely. Will we? I sure hope so, but it will take changing the way we look at what we have and can do. I mean, could we all give up a coffee or a fast food meal a week? Sure. Is it easy, pretty much. But will we change?

No comments: