Follow me on Twitter!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Alderson Family Reunion

It is that time of year again... the weekend after Father's Day. It may not sound like a big deal, but in our family it is.

This weekend I traveled to Kentucky for our annual family reunion with my dad's mom's family, to begin my string of insane summer weekends. My family here is a pretty interesting group of people. I used to go to these reunions a lot when I was a little kid, and then stopped when I was about 11 or so. When I moved to Morgantown, my dad made me promise to go to the reunion every year, first so he could "make sure to see me at least once a year" and second because it is about as close to being the exact halfway point between Morgantown and Nashville as you can get.

Well, I'm usually not to thrilled about coming. Nothing against anyone here, its just that I really don't know anyone. The past two years my cousin Carla has come up too, and last year my sister also joined us with her kids. they always make it really fun, and it is nice to see them too. but this year for various reasons neither could come.

I was kind of nervous about going by myself. You see, the generations span many years in this family, so in "my generation" I was 10 years older than the next oldest! And then from the next generation up I was about 10 years younger. Kind of in the middle.

BUT. Oddly enough, I did really enjoy myself yesterday. I got a chance to talk with family that I never would have taken the time to if Carla or Jenn had been here. I wish I had my camera... because I took a sweet picture of me and my cousin (ok, I have no idea how far away, but cousin works) Roxanne using my mad self photography skills. It was pretty fun all in all.

After the cookout, we usually split up for the afternoon and then meet again for dinner as a whole group. Well, this year we were split into two groups. The "young" ones (those with kids in my generation) went to get wings an the rest wen to get Mexican. I was invited to go with the wings group, which also had the parents who were closest to my age. I really did think about going with them, but decided that I should probably go to Mexican and hang with my parents some more since that is what I kind of originally came to do.

I'm kind of sad that I didn't get more time to hang out with some of the cool people here. Well, I guess there is always next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time! In a crazy way, I missed not being there this year. Maybe next!