Follow me on Twitter!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Grateful

There are some seasons in life that we have been trained culturally to respond to. You know the ones I'm talking about: we "need" a vacation in the summer. Change seems to come easily in the early fall when we used to start school. We become more generous in our giving at Christmas.

And so it isn't very shocking that during this season I find myself being more aware of the things that I am grateful for. Well, maybe it is since apparently stores are trying to skip over Thanksgiving and go straight from Halloween to Christmas these days. Regardless, I like getting caught up in this season. I really look forward to Christmas, and have to refrain from putting up my tree on November 1, but I also really like to revel in the month of November. I love to think of the things that God has blessed me with, things that I did nothing to deserve.

Sure, I have typical life drama. I have tension to deal with. I have to navigate unsure waters like everyone else. But it is in seasons like this one that I'm reminded that even though I have to "deal" with life, I also have the great pleasure of experiencing life.

There is pain, but there is rejoicing. There is suffering, but there is relief. There is heartache, but there is love. There are chores, but .... well, there are chores. Still, I have so many things to be thankful for.

This morning, the number one thing I'm thankful for is my ability to just sit down and have my morning coffee with God.

What about you? What are you thankful for today?

No comments: