Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Sound of Silence

I've heard so many times that silence is golden. I'm starting to think it's true.


My mom has been in town this week, and after being around her I have learned where I got my gift of gab. I know I love to talk, but I think my mom puts me to shame. So much so that I was admittedly a little frustrated by the end of our first day together.


Part of the reason why is because not only did I inherit a love for the spoken word form my mother, I inherited my love of the unspoken word from my father. I genuinely love comfortable silence.


Do you know what I'm talking about? The kind of situations when you're in a car with someone, or you're walking together, or just hanging out and nothing is being said, but no one is uncomfortable. These are the times when you don't have to force a conversation, but there is a peace that comes in the silence.


My mom was super excited to come visit, and I was looking forward to her coming, because she hadn't been able to come to WV in nearly 4 years. That's a long time! But that meant that she had a lot bottled up a lot of talk. So much so that at times I felt like I couldn't or shouldn't get a word in. I guess that's not too bad a problem to have, because I'm super glad that I have the ability to have those conversations with my mom, to have her here with me.


But I have different expectations of quality time. I knew that going into this week, but hadn't really thought through the implications. And so by the end of our first full day I was worn out, and frustrated.


I was looking forward to talking and hanging out, but also to those times of comfortable silence when nothing needs to be said. When both people who are together are just comfortable. By day 2 things got a bit better, and there were some of those magical moments I was hoping to have, intermixed with the rapid conversations that she loves. I guess it was a good balance.


I love my mom, and I love to talk. But I also really love to just be with the people I love, and not talk. I love being in a situation where everyone is so comfortable that the silence doesn't bring tension, but it brings peace.

No comments: