Follow me on Twitter!

Monday, June 20, 2011

A Part of the Story

Last night I went to the movies. I won't tell you which movie I saw, because I don't really think I'd recommend it. I mean, it was okay, and fairly clean, but it wasn't great. And being a lover of movies I feel like I have a specific taste for what I feel is great.

As I watched the movie, there were times I was into the story, times I laughed, times I was nervous for the main characters. But there were also times when I realized I was watching a movie. You know what I'm talking about? You're in the theater, and suddenly the story line of the movie isn't all that interesting any more, and you start to think about what you have to do later on, or think about the fact that you're in a movie.

The good movies are the ones that have such an engaging story line that you get engrossed in them, and the rest of your life isn't at the forefront of your mind anymore. They are the kinds of stories that suck you in, that you feel like you're a part of.

Unfortunately my $5 ticket did not get me into one of those great movies yesterday.

As I sat in the theater, supposedly watching the movie, I came to a conclusion. I was sitting in a theater for 2 hours, spending my life watching a story I wasn't engaged in at all. (Proven by the fact that my thoughts were going that direction.) In a way I was wasting my time. Of course, I was there with a friend, so that part wasn't a waste of time. And she and I got to laugh about parts of the movie and question it together afterward.

But I wasn't engaged. I wasn't a part of the story. I just wasn't feeling it.

I think that is what our walk with God is like many times in our life. We know about His story, but for some reason we're just watching it unfold, not really all that into what's happening, thinking about what we want, or what we will be doing later that day.

We don't really look to see what God is doing. We don't really participate in the story that He is writing in the world.

The most unfortunate thing about this is that He isn't writing a sub-par, boring, no adventure story. He is writing the best story of all time. And we just aren't paying attention.


No comments: