Follow me on Twitter!

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Unplugged

Today I'm leaving for my annual family reunion. I never know what to expect... but I always end up having a good time. The reunion is at a beautiful state park in KY, and it gives me the chance to see extended family members that I wouldn't usually see any other time of the year. In fact, until moving to WV I didn't ever go to the reunion, so there were about 20 years that I didn't see any of these relatives!

As I started packing last night and thinking through what I would take on this overnight adventure, I was pondering taking my ever present backpack. It goes pretty much anywhere I go, especially if I am gone longer than 2 hours and there is a slight possibility I could need a computer.

But I thought, I really don't want to take an extra bag. Can't I just take a small bag and a purse? And of course the answer is no.

Well, I guess I could. If my small bag was a tiny bit bigger. (It really is a small bag.) Mainly because it doesn't have room to carry my Bible and a book to read. And of course no room for my computer.

I didn't realize how dependent I had once again become on this little piece of technology. How I start my day, every single day, checking facebook and email about an hour after I wake up. (This of course is much better than the days when I would keep my computer by my bed and check them before I got out of bed in the morning.)

And so I have decided, no computer for this trip. Maybe leaving it home will help me connect better with my family. Which seems a bit ironic since it is the primary I keep up with them on a regular basis. Maybe it'll help me to unplug a little bit, even if it is only for 36 hours.

And so I start my journey, 1 small (very small) overnight bag, a purse, and a drawstring bag containing my books/journal. Here's to getting unplugged. At least from my computer. :)

1 comment:

Nate Jones said...

Love it! Enjoy being unplugged!!