Follow me on Twitter!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

oh the ballet



So in the past few months I have been really missing dancing. That may seem weird, seeing as I lead the kidSTUFF dancers. But what I really miss is the discipline, the workout, the mental challenge, the....ballet. Yeah, I never thought that would be me.

Nope, I was a strictly tap girl when I started. Then I only added ballet and jazz because I thought it'd be cool and my sister was registered in some classes she wouldn't be finishing out. So the teacher let me join them in her place. (wow was she brave) I was even doing a basic pointe barre after only 6 months of ballet training. Insane!

I always thought I was better at tap and jazz. And I may have been right. I was never at a very high level in any of them. But I loved it. to the point that at one time of my life I was dancing about 15 hours a week.

When i moved to Morgantown, I lost that. I didn't have anywhere to go and take a class. Not to mention, ballet is expensive. No more free classes because of being a teacher and gym coach. Nope, I'd have to pay for them on my own.

Well, I may not be on pointe any more, and may be ridiculously out of shape, but I am joining a ballet class this semester. It is a little weird to me because it is "Adult beginning/intermediate". the adult part is the weird thing. Sometimes I forget I fit in that category.

But can I just say, I am really excited about this. I have to miss the first 2 weeks of the semester because of some prior commitments, but after that I will be doing my 1.25 hours of ballet on Saturday mornings. Hooray! Now I just need to make sure that I can find my shoes....

1 comment:

Alise said...

That's so exciting! I sometimes miss the discipline of playing classical piano. Your post has inspired me to swing by a music store and pick up a Beethoven sonata to work on so I can get my fingers back in shape. Good for you for doing something you enjoy! And don't worry -- that adult thing still doesn't feel like it fits me and I've been an old person for a WHILE now!