Follow me on Twitter!

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Driver's License Woes...

Did you know that in WV if you have an expired out of state driver's license you have to retake all the driver's exams and have a certified driving record from your previous registered state, and have about 5 forms of ID? Yeah, even though you may have been legally on the road for 10 years, they will still make you take the written and driving exam again. And if you want to do them in the same day, you have to be accompanied by a licensed driver over the age of 21. In a vehicle with valid registration and insurance.

I just learned all this because my license expired on my birthday, and I realized it about 2 weeks later. Oops. I figured, well, its about time to get a WV license anyway, so what better time than now? And then I found out all the requirements.

This may not be a big deal to most, but if you knew my driving past you may realize my dilemma. The first time I had to do the driving test I failed. Twice. Studying may have helped that, but since I never really studied for anything I didn't find the need to start then. Who knows if I could pass it now.

And then the issue of the driving test itself. You see, in Wilson County, TN, you don't have to do things like parallel park or a three point turn. So I never learned. Yeah, no parallel parking for me unless I can just pull in. Maybe I should learn that...

So I had my freak out time, and spent about an hour on the phone with my dad trying to figure out what to do. See, just getting the certified driving record via mail would take about a month. I was seriously considering going home this weekend just to take care of it. Yeah, 1000+ miles just for a new license. Blah.

Then a ray of hope: online renewal. Apparently in TN if you have a license that has expired in the last 5 years (yes, years) you can just fill out a form online, pay your $20 and get a new one in the mail. Of course it goes to your TN residence. Thank goodness for parents who are willing to overnight a package to me! And, you get a nifty page to print off that says you have an extension on your license so it isn't technically expired.

So I am once again a legal driver.

Then at some point in the next 5 years before it expires again, I will take all my many forms of ID to the WV DMV and get a WV driver's license. And maybe even learn to parallel park. The possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

Alise said...

This happened to me once. I didn't realize that my license from my previous state had expired and I had to get a new one in WV anyway, so as a mid-20-something, I had to retake my driving exam. I was absolutely terrified that I wouldn't pass it a second time!

I'm glad things worked out so you didn't have to take your test again. It may be stressful when you're 16, but when you've been driving a few years, it's just downright terrifying!