Follow me on Twitter!

Monday, November 3, 2008

How BIG is your God?

So do you ever stop to think about how BIG a God we serve?

I know sometimes I forget what it means to have such a big God on my side. I get into the habit of knowing He's there for me, and just taking it for granted and not trusting Him. Even the name of God becomes second hand. Have you thought about even what that name means?

Here are some definitions:
the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.

A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions.
The force, effect, or a manifestation or aspect of this being.
A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people, especially a male deity thought to control some part of nature or reality.
One that is worshiped, idealized, or followed
A being conceived of as possessing supernatural power, and to be propitiated by sacrifice, worship, etc.; a divinity; a deity; an object of worship; an idol.
The Supreme Being; the eternal and infinite Spirit, the Creator, and the Sovereign of the universe; Jehovah

OK, so out of that, I have to think that "God" means a whole stinking lot more than just some guy upstairs. He is ALL POWERFUL. He is PERFECT. He is Originator of the Universe. He is WORSHIPED. He is SUPERNATURAL. He is DIVINITY. He is ETERNAL and INFINITE. He is SOVEREIGN OF THE UNIVERSE. JEHOVAH.

And that is just form our dictionaries. Think abut what the Bible says about Him. As you think about it, does it just blow your mind? I know mine is going nuts thinking about it.

I have been thinking about this the past 24 hours or so. And the conclusion I have come to? God is bigger than anything I can even understand. Even so, with my limited knowledge and understanding, I am starting to understand the feelings behind the Psalm:

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above he heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? (Psalm 8:1-4)

Do you limit God in His greatness? I know I do. How often I think that God isn't big enough to take care of me, or caring enough to worry about the little things. And how wrong I am.

No comments: